Skip to main content

Fire! In a Village With No Roads in, Only Wooden Plank Bridges

We spent the morning walking through La Solution--a village literally built over a marsh in Panama where we are doing what we can to help a sick orphan boy and his little brother. After taping the video in my last post, we went back into Bocas town (just a few blocks away) and had lunch at our favorite hang out.

When we finished and walked back out into the street, we saw a huge billowing cloud of very black smoke rising out of La Solution. Along with what felt like nearly everyone in town, we ran to see what was happening and how we could help.


Four houses burned. I don't think anyone was hurt, but I don't have all the facts yet. Lee helped the guys bring the hose from the only place you can park down through the wooden planks and to the burning houses. People were scrambling to get their belongings out of their homes since all the houses are built of wood (and cardboard) and are literally attached to each other by simple bridges.

I didn't get too close to the fire, but am hoping to go see the damage tomorrow.......





Life can change so easily in an instant.

Trying to pay attention, 
laura


Please check out our FULL WEBSITE at www.PovertyProjectInternational.com
If you want to chat, you can email us at povertyprojectinternational@gmail.com
Or if you want to help us out and DONATE, you can go to PAYPAL and send your donation to  povertyprojectinternational@gmail.comAll donations are tax deductible.

Live is an adventure, Live it!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beware of Falling Mangoes

There is a book I love called An Embarrassment of Mangoes . Its about a couple sailing in the Caribbean, meeting locals, and collecting recipes. It is nearly my favorite book of all time because this is what I want to do with my life...sail the Caribbean and collect people and recipes. Little did I dream one day I would own a Tiki Bar and B&B in Costa Rica, much less one gifted with mango trees. In fact, I do think I am going to need to post a WATCH FOR FALLING MANGOES sign above my door as the still green fruit is falling off the trees. I have no idea why. A local told me the tree sheds the unwanted-unfit fruit before it ripens. I am glad no-one has shed me. So I am waiting for the fruit to ripen and dreaming of ways to use it: mango-chili chutney, mango mohitos, mango ice-cream, mango topped burgers. I am dreaming quite actively actually, as it looks like soon I will be the proud owner of an embarrassment of mangoes!

Magic in the Palm Groves

One of my favorite things about driving down the long road to Manuel Antonio is the palm groves. Rows and rows of palm trees, their trunks laden with ferns I would have given my right arm for when I lived in south Carolina, create a magical green world along the narrow highway. The trees bear bright red berries growing in huge bunches just where you think the coconuts might grow. The color, like cranberries at christmas time. But the best part is the old fashioned carts pulled by oxen and directed by real Costa Rican cowboys.

Witches in the Islands of Bocas Del Toro, Panama

An old black woman approached my friend. She took off her necklace and handed it to him. Hanging from the delicate chain was a thin gold coin with an odd pattern stamped in it. “Do you understand?” she asked in think Creole English as she pressed it into his palm. “No,” he answered, puzzled. “I’m a witch,” the old woman explained. This is not a story. This is real. I have no idea why the old woman declared herself to my friend. Several times, I have heard that there are many witches in Bocas Del Toro and every person who has confirmed it has warned me not to talk. So why did the old woman approach my friend? And stranger yet, why did she go on to tell him that there are many witches in the area? Why did she tell him the lady across the street is a witch? And why did she tell him what the witches are up to? Normally I would not take something like this too seriously. But in light of recent happenings, I am reeling with this information. For ...