Skip to main content

Josibeth: Sharing French Fries, Math, and Paper Hearts


This is Josibeth.
She lives in Almirante, the non-tourist, non-gringo, very authentic Panamanian town on the mainland.

 Her mother makes beaded bracelets and necklaces and Josibeth helps her sell them on the tourist island of Colon, the island where Bocas town is located.

Josibeth sold me a little black bead bracelet the other day. She also wrote her name for me and did some math at the table where I was sitting at my little favorite everyone-shares-their-tables restaurant.

She is a regular there. She comes skipping in with a big smile and a few trinkets in her hand and sits down at my table (or someone else's). She doesn't speak any English, but most people here (even the Gringos) speak enough Spanish to carry on a little conversation with her. She usually gets a plate of fries or chicken fingers from some compassionate soul, and even if she doesn't make a sale, she gets lots of attention and has fun!

People usually think that helping the poor is some grandiose, serious thing run by big organizations with lots of money.

I think its sitting at a table with a 7 year old sharing french fries and doing math.

Or writing each other's names and drawing hearts.


If you ever want to come to Panama. I would love to introduce you to Josibeth and many others like her. I would love to take you to her house, and make you hot chocolate from the raw cacao her mom turns into little chocolate patties.

I have this gnawing thing in my heart that drives me to simply connect and see what happens next. Taking time to help the poor isn't a ministry to me. Its just life.

Living fully,
laura


Please check out our FULL WEBSITE at www.PovertyProjectInternational.com
If you want to chat, you can email us at povertyprojectinternational@gmail.com
Or if you want to help us out and DONATE, you can go to PAYPAL and send your donation to  povertyprojectinternational@gmail.comAll donations are tax deductible.


Live is an adventure, Live it!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beware of Falling Mangoes

There is a book I love called An Embarrassment of Mangoes . Its about a couple sailing in the Caribbean, meeting locals, and collecting recipes. It is nearly my favorite book of all time because this is what I want to do with my life...sail the Caribbean and collect people and recipes. Little did I dream one day I would own a Tiki Bar and B&B in Costa Rica, much less one gifted with mango trees. In fact, I do think I am going to need to post a WATCH FOR FALLING MANGOES sign above my door as the still green fruit is falling off the trees. I have no idea why. A local told me the tree sheds the unwanted-unfit fruit before it ripens. I am glad no-one has shed me. So I am waiting for the fruit to ripen and dreaming of ways to use it: mango-chili chutney, mango mohitos, mango ice-cream, mango topped burgers. I am dreaming quite actively actually, as it looks like soon I will be the proud owner of an embarrassment of mangoes!

Mexican Morning

The sea is calm this morning after days of raging. Its rhythm calms me a little. The sun is just rising and the palapas are turning gold. I love these mornings when the air is still and clean. Orange oriels sing and land on my yellow flowering vines looking for butterflies for breakfast. Today the plan is to go diving right out here in front of Pueblo Escondido where I live, if it be temporarily.  Nothing here is set in stone. Not the wind nor the waves nor the condition of the reef under them. Endangered sea turtles struggle for survival. Maybe I will dance with one today. Just off shore the water is clear. I can see the limestone stretching out beneath the waves and disappearing into the vast blue where the sea floor quickly drops from 40-400 feet. I love it here. The tropical breezes, the infant fish that grow in the tide pools, the tiny ones with blank and yellow stripes and the ones that are half purple and half yellow. They have found a safe place in which to grow, ...

Magic in the Palm Groves

One of my favorite things about driving down the long road to Manuel Antonio is the palm groves. Rows and rows of palm trees, their trunks laden with ferns I would have given my right arm for when I lived in south Carolina, create a magical green world along the narrow highway. The trees bear bright red berries growing in huge bunches just where you think the coconuts might grow. The color, like cranberries at christmas time. But the best part is the old fashioned carts pulled by oxen and directed by real Costa Rican cowboys.