Skip to main content

Witches in the Islands of Bocas Del Toro, Panama


An old black woman approached my friend. She took off her necklace and handed it to him. Hanging from the delicate chain was a thin gold coin with an odd pattern stamped in it.

“Do you understand?” she asked in think Creole English as she pressed it into his palm.

“No,” he answered, puzzled.

“I’m a witch,” the old woman explained.

This is not a story. This is real.

I have no idea why the old woman declared herself to my friend. Several times, I have heard that there are many witches in Bocas Del Toro and every person who has confirmed it has warned me not to talk.

So why did the old woman approach my friend?

And stranger yet, why did she go on to tell him that there are many witches in the area? Why did she tell him the lady across the street is a witch? And why did she tell him what the witches are up to?

Normally I would not take something like this too seriously. But in light of recent happenings, I am reeling with this information.

For example: My friend went to buy a new computer and the cash was stolen. Then a week later he dredged up more money and successfully purchased that new computer. A week after that the computer was ruined. Then he bought a new phone. A week later the phone was stolen.  Then he bought another phone. A week after that the phone, his cash, his keys, and his credit card were all lost to the ocean.

So, what did the old woman say the witches are up to?

She said they are casting spells and curses so that no one can do anything.

If you are reading this and you live in Bocas, I am sure you know exactly what I mean.

It's easy to sit in a bar and drink yourself to death in the islands. But if you want to make any kind of forward progress, it is just about impossible.

Now we know why.

I knew there was something going on. Too many bizarre things have happened.

My friend fell and injured his foot. The next day a local woman dropped a huge pile of pots and pans on it. The next day he fell through a dock.

Another friend tried to type up a list and staple it to a door.

It took six days. The computer didn’t work. The paper ran out. The ink ran out. The stapler didn’t have staples. The new staples were the wrong size. SIX DAYS to staple a piece of paper to a door.

These things happen and we explain them away. We say it’s just life in the tropics.

What else did the old woman say?

She said the local church that my friend attends is full of witches. She said she isn’t a good witch or a bad witch. She is just a witch. She also said there are bad witches in town. And she said that four times she danced with the devil.

Four times.

But she didn’t want to go down where the devil was. She wanted to go up.

Maybe that was why she exposed herself and the inner workings of her village to my friend.

Maybe she was trying to warn him.

And maybe she was looking for help.

Wishing I could help,
laura

There are several more similar stories here including a serious curse in the area and some unexplained happenings that we may just have an answer to now.

This is serious stuff and is having a huge impact on the people in the region. The idea is to get to the bottom of this.....

I RAN AWAY FROM MEXICO: An Unexpected Spiritual Journey
You can check it out here. 
Its on Kindle for those of you who are living out of the country and is available in paperback too.




Please check out our FULL WEBSITE at www.PovertyProjectInternational.com
If you want to chat, you can email us at povertyprojectinternational@gmail.com
Or if you want to help us out and DONATE, you can go to PAYPAL and send your donation to  povertyprojectinternational@gmail.comAll donations are tax deductible.


Live is an adventure, Live it!



Comments

  1. Superstition thrives in all cultures and societies of the world. And the people who believe the most in magic are the people more awake to the world around them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beware of Falling Mangoes

There is a book I love called An Embarrassment of Mangoes . Its about a couple sailing in the Caribbean, meeting locals, and collecting recipes. It is nearly my favorite book of all time because this is what I want to do with my life...sail the Caribbean and collect people and recipes. Little did I dream one day I would own a Tiki Bar and B&B in Costa Rica, much less one gifted with mango trees. In fact, I do think I am going to need to post a WATCH FOR FALLING MANGOES sign above my door as the still green fruit is falling off the trees. I have no idea why. A local told me the tree sheds the unwanted-unfit fruit before it ripens. I am glad no-one has shed me. So I am waiting for the fruit to ripen and dreaming of ways to use it: mango-chili chutney, mango mohitos, mango ice-cream, mango topped burgers. I am dreaming quite actively actually, as it looks like soon I will be the proud owner of an embarrassment of mangoes!