Skip to main content

Scuba Diving with a Massive Loggerhead Sea Turtle


At first I thought he was dead, lying there still as stone and ancient. Barnacles covered his massive shell and his long flippers lay motionless in the sand. I have never seen a sea turtle even remotely as big. He was easily as long as I am. I drifted quietly over him, looking for signs of life. It seemed sad that such an old and massive animal would come to such an end. And yet it also felt right somehow, him lying there on the sea floor, waiting to become part of the food chain again.

All else around me seemed to fade away, the reef, the tiny bright blue fish, the silver barracuda I'd been admiring a moment earlier. The only sign of life in my awareness was my bubbles, floating to the surface, sparkling as they reached the sun.

And then he moved. Just a small stretching of his great neck. I wasn't sure at first if I really saw it. My eyes may have been deceiving me. Underwater things seem to move and bend with the motion of the waves, even down this deep. And so I watched, waiting and wondering if I should move on and let this gentle giant be.

I am so glad I waited. He came alive slowly, like Rip Van Winkle waking from his nap.I am not sure how you can lumber and float at the same time, but that is what he did.

Of course, I so carefully did not wish to disturb him, and so I allowed the quiet current to bear me away. Hopefully I will get to see him again.

http://www.aquanautsdiveshop.com/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beware of Falling Mangoes

There is a book I love called An Embarrassment of Mangoes . Its about a couple sailing in the Caribbean, meeting locals, and collecting recipes. It is nearly my favorite book of all time because this is what I want to do with my life...sail the Caribbean and collect people and recipes. Little did I dream one day I would own a Tiki Bar and B&B in Costa Rica, much less one gifted with mango trees. In fact, I do think I am going to need to post a WATCH FOR FALLING MANGOES sign above my door as the still green fruit is falling off the trees. I have no idea why. A local told me the tree sheds the unwanted-unfit fruit before it ripens. I am glad no-one has shed me. So I am waiting for the fruit to ripen and dreaming of ways to use it: mango-chili chutney, mango mohitos, mango ice-cream, mango topped burgers. I am dreaming quite actively actually, as it looks like soon I will be the proud owner of an embarrassment of mangoes!