Skip to main content

Biriba: The World's Yummiest Wild Fruit

Biriba is now officially my favorite fruit in the whole world! It tastes like vanilla custard. Officially known as rollinia delisoca, its also called wild sugar apple in some places. I have two biriba trees growing in my yard and I patiently watched the first fruit grow into the size of a small watermelon and then turn bright yellow. When I popped the first bite into my moth, I had one of those, shut-out-the-world-and-enjoy-this moments. How could something growing wild taste so delicious?

Good for you?

YES! Biriba is high in iron, potassium, and vitamin C.

But more importantly to me, it's an all natural stimulant, similar to coffee or raw chocolate. In other words...

Biriba is a feel good fruit!

So my plan is to dry the seeds and see just how many biriba trees I can grow. They are considered extremely rare. Well, I will fancy myself a modern day Johnny Appleseed and plant wild sugar apples where ever I go!

Exploring the Possibilities,
laura


Please check out our FULL WEBSITE at www.PovertyProjectInternational.com
If you want to chat, you can email us at povertyprojectinternational@gmail.com
Or if you want to help us out and DONATE, you can go to PAYPAL and send your donation to  povertyprojectinternational@gmail.comAll donations are tax deductible.


Live is an adventure, Live it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beware of Falling Mangoes

There is a book I love called An Embarrassment of Mangoes . Its about a couple sailing in the Caribbean, meeting locals, and collecting recipes. It is nearly my favorite book of all time because this is what I want to do with my life...sail the Caribbean and collect people and recipes. Little did I dream one day I would own a Tiki Bar and B&B in Costa Rica, much less one gifted with mango trees. In fact, I do think I am going to need to post a WATCH FOR FALLING MANGOES sign above my door as the still green fruit is falling off the trees. I have no idea why. A local told me the tree sheds the unwanted-unfit fruit before it ripens. I am glad no-one has shed me. So I am waiting for the fruit to ripen and dreaming of ways to use it: mango-chili chutney, mango mohitos, mango ice-cream, mango topped burgers. I am dreaming quite actively actually, as it looks like soon I will be the proud owner of an embarrassment of mangoes!

Striking Out and Hitting a Home Run

Two months ago, Lee was playing baseball in a field full of garbage with some of the kids on the island of Carenero. An 11 year old girl struck him out. Of course everyone laughed and Lee made his way down the little path that runs through the village where he soon ran into a guy named Javier. Javier speaks great English and is a business owner in the village. The two of them started up a conversation about the conditions the kids were playing in and before you know it, they had agreed to meet the next morning with garbage bags to do a little clean up. The next morning the two of them and about 6 kids spent several hours cleaning up. A week later, the entire town got together and took out 5,000 bags of garbage! And that was just the beginning. Two months later: A few days ago we walked though the village again. I was shocked by how many changes have been made. Probably about 75 percent of the homes have some change besides being cleaner and having their grass cut: new p...

Witches in the Islands of Bocas Del Toro, Panama

An old black woman approached my friend. She took off her necklace and handed it to him. Hanging from the delicate chain was a thin gold coin with an odd pattern stamped in it. “Do you understand?” she asked in think Creole English as she pressed it into his palm. “No,” he answered, puzzled. “I’m a witch,” the old woman explained. This is not a story. This is real. I have no idea why the old woman declared herself to my friend. Several times, I have heard that there are many witches in Bocas Del Toro and every person who has confirmed it has warned me not to talk. So why did the old woman approach my friend? And stranger yet, why did she go on to tell him that there are many witches in the area? Why did she tell him the lady across the street is a witch? And why did she tell him what the witches are up to? Normally I would not take something like this too seriously. But in light of recent happenings, I am reeling with this information. For ...