Skip to main content

The Days of the Dead: I Will be Traveling to Mexico for this Very Important Holiday


I will be arriving in Mexico just in time for the Days of the Dead celebrations. Such conflict here. It is one of the most important holidays in Mexico, a time when they look death in the face and laugh at it. They create huge and beautiful alters filled with food and flowers and they stay up all night long in the graveyards waiting for their dead loved ones to come back. They tell stories and light candles and they will tell you many stories of their dead loved ones coming to visit.

Day of the Dead is not a scary holiday and the Mexicans are not afraid of seeing their passed loved ones. They simply do not see death the way we do.

I ran into this attitude in Panama too. Death is simply part of life. Yes, people mourn their loss, but they are much more connected with the whole process than we are. (My culture anyway)

My husband passed away.

My two-year old grand daughter saw him later that morning and she said, "I saw Boppy and he isn't sick anymore."

I know I have felt his presence in a calm and comforting way.

I will be talking to locals and taking as many pictures as I can of this important Mexican holiday. I want to understand the spirit behind it.

And of course, I will share it with you!

To Everlasting Life,
Laura


Please check out our FULL WEBSITE at www.PovertyProjectInternational.com
If you want to chat, you can email us at povertyprojectinternational@gmail.com
Or if you want to help us out and DONATE, you can go to PAYPAL and send your donation to  povertyprojectinternational@gmail.comAll donations are tax deductible.


Live is an adventure, Live it!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beware of Falling Mangoes

There is a book I love called An Embarrassment of Mangoes . Its about a couple sailing in the Caribbean, meeting locals, and collecting recipes. It is nearly my favorite book of all time because this is what I want to do with my life...sail the Caribbean and collect people and recipes. Little did I dream one day I would own a Tiki Bar and B&B in Costa Rica, much less one gifted with mango trees. In fact, I do think I am going to need to post a WATCH FOR FALLING MANGOES sign above my door as the still green fruit is falling off the trees. I have no idea why. A local told me the tree sheds the unwanted-unfit fruit before it ripens. I am glad no-one has shed me. So I am waiting for the fruit to ripen and dreaming of ways to use it: mango-chili chutney, mango mohitos, mango ice-cream, mango topped burgers. I am dreaming quite actively actually, as it looks like soon I will be the proud owner of an embarrassment of mangoes!

Mexican Morning

The sea is calm this morning after days of raging. Its rhythm calms me a little. The sun is just rising and the palapas are turning gold. I love these mornings when the air is still and clean. Orange oriels sing and land on my yellow flowering vines looking for butterflies for breakfast. Today the plan is to go diving right out here in front of Pueblo Escondido where I live, if it be temporarily.  Nothing here is set in stone. Not the wind nor the waves nor the condition of the reef under them. Endangered sea turtles struggle for survival. Maybe I will dance with one today. Just off shore the water is clear. I can see the limestone stretching out beneath the waves and disappearing into the vast blue where the sea floor quickly drops from 40-400 feet. I love it here. The tropical breezes, the infant fish that grow in the tide pools, the tiny ones with blank and yellow stripes and the ones that are half purple and half yellow. They have found a safe place in which to grow, ...

Magic in the Palm Groves

One of my favorite things about driving down the long road to Manuel Antonio is the palm groves. Rows and rows of palm trees, their trunks laden with ferns I would have given my right arm for when I lived in south Carolina, create a magical green world along the narrow highway. The trees bear bright red berries growing in huge bunches just where you think the coconuts might grow. The color, like cranberries at christmas time. But the best part is the old fashioned carts pulled by oxen and directed by real Costa Rican cowboys.