Skip to main content

A Deaf Boy Who Can't Speak Gets a Life Changing Opportunity!


This is Pato. He is deaf and cannot speak. When we first met him, he stood in the background and didn't really connect with people. He spoke some sign language, and read lips, but he didn't interact with many people. I am sure growing up in a poor community did not make many resources available to him.  

So we started waving and then buying him M&Ms and acting funny and making him laugh. Soon he was coming over to the house and cutting the yard and fixing the fence. We paid him, which I am sure was a great boost to his self esteem. But the most important part was, he was learning to relax and interact with people. 

Well, last week we found Pato a job! There is a little shop around the corner where they build beautiful handmade furniture from local hardwoods. I had them make me a bed and two dressers and they did a beautiful job for a price that made me really happy. 

We walk by the place every day on the way to the store, and after being so happy with our furniture, we always make sure to stop and chat with the owner. 

Well, when Pato started going to the store with us, just for fun, we got him involved in our lively conversation with the furniture maker. Soon the two were laughing. Pato is actually a great communicator despite his lack of ability to talk. 

Next thing you know, the furniture maker had Pato cleaning up around the place. Pato did such a good job that now we find him in there cutting wood and sanding and hammering learning how to build beautiful furniture. He is officially a paid apprentice and learning a new skill, one that he will have for the rest of his life. 

And in this poor village, carpentry is so valued that he will be able to support himself and be a real part of this wonderful little community! I am so proud of him! And I am so happy that just taking time to be open and caring can lead to such life changing opportunities. 

Yey Pato!

Loving these beautiful ones, 
laura


Please check out our FULL WEBSITE at www.PovertyProjectInternational.com
If you want to chat, you can email us at povertyprojectinternational@gmail.com
Or if you want to help us out and DONATE, you can go to PAYPAL and send your donation to  povertyprojectinternational@gmail.comAll donations are tax deductible.

Live is an adventure, Live it!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beware of Falling Mangoes

There is a book I love called An Embarrassment of Mangoes . Its about a couple sailing in the Caribbean, meeting locals, and collecting recipes. It is nearly my favorite book of all time because this is what I want to do with my life...sail the Caribbean and collect people and recipes. Little did I dream one day I would own a Tiki Bar and B&B in Costa Rica, much less one gifted with mango trees. In fact, I do think I am going to need to post a WATCH FOR FALLING MANGOES sign above my door as the still green fruit is falling off the trees. I have no idea why. A local told me the tree sheds the unwanted-unfit fruit before it ripens. I am glad no-one has shed me. So I am waiting for the fruit to ripen and dreaming of ways to use it: mango-chili chutney, mango mohitos, mango ice-cream, mango topped burgers. I am dreaming quite actively actually, as it looks like soon I will be the proud owner of an embarrassment of mangoes!