Skip to main content

Getting a Car Painted in Mexico


This 1973 VW Bug ...called a Vocho (pronounced Bocho) here in Mexico, has been sitting in the Pueblo getting painted for almost a month now. At least she is finally green. The origianl plan was to paint an OM symbol on the driver's door, but I am getting impatient.

Did I mention patience? This is a trait you need to cultivate if you want to spend time in Mexico. Manana means "some time in the future" and that's ok if you are enjoying the sun and drinking a margarita. But when you get into the nitty gritty of life and you need to get a car painted, you better believe it will test your patience.

When I first dropped this car off, they said it would take a week. Its been a month.

Well at least there isn't a dog named Tranquillo living under it. My old BMW that I took to the shop around the corner to get some engine work done had to be retrieved 6 months later and poor Tranquillo had to be evicted from his home. That car is now sitting in my garage waiting for my attention (and for me to find replacement parts for the parts the mechanic lost).

But the Bocho (written that way to remind you of how to say it) is coming home tomorrow. Its a gift for my daughter. I think she's going to name it The Avacado.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beware of Falling Mangoes

There is a book I love called An Embarrassment of Mangoes . Its about a couple sailing in the Caribbean, meeting locals, and collecting recipes. It is nearly my favorite book of all time because this is what I want to do with my life...sail the Caribbean and collect people and recipes. Little did I dream one day I would own a Tiki Bar and B&B in Costa Rica, much less one gifted with mango trees. In fact, I do think I am going to need to post a WATCH FOR FALLING MANGOES sign above my door as the still green fruit is falling off the trees. I have no idea why. A local told me the tree sheds the unwanted-unfit fruit before it ripens. I am glad no-one has shed me. So I am waiting for the fruit to ripen and dreaming of ways to use it: mango-chili chutney, mango mohitos, mango ice-cream, mango topped burgers. I am dreaming quite actively actually, as it looks like soon I will be the proud owner of an embarrassment of mangoes!

Magic in the Palm Groves

One of my favorite things about driving down the long road to Manuel Antonio is the palm groves. Rows and rows of palm trees, their trunks laden with ferns I would have given my right arm for when I lived in south Carolina, create a magical green world along the narrow highway. The trees bear bright red berries growing in huge bunches just where you think the coconuts might grow. The color, like cranberries at christmas time. But the best part is the old fashioned carts pulled by oxen and directed by real Costa Rican cowboys.

Witches in the Islands of Bocas Del Toro, Panama

An old black woman approached my friend. She took off her necklace and handed it to him. Hanging from the delicate chain was a thin gold coin with an odd pattern stamped in it. “Do you understand?” she asked in think Creole English as she pressed it into his palm. “No,” he answered, puzzled. “I’m a witch,” the old woman explained. This is not a story. This is real. I have no idea why the old woman declared herself to my friend. Several times, I have heard that there are many witches in Bocas Del Toro and every person who has confirmed it has warned me not to talk. So why did the old woman approach my friend? And stranger yet, why did she go on to tell him that there are many witches in the area? Why did she tell him the lady across the street is a witch? And why did she tell him what the witches are up to? Normally I would not take something like this too seriously. But in light of recent happenings, I am reeling with this information. For ...