Skip to main content

Don't Let Fear keep You From Changing the World


We walked the paths of Bastimentos today. We climbed the hill to the top and spoke with a 76 year old woman who walks it everyday. I had a hard time jut getting up there. I am impressed with her stamina to say the least. We played basketball with the teenagers at the end of the path, on a real basketball court next to the beach. We laughed at the kids showing off their diving skills at the end of the dock. We had lunch in a tiny restaurant out on a dock. I had creole chicken and lentils and rice. It was 5 bucks. 

But the most important thing we did all day was talk. 

It is impossible to connect with people if you don't talk.

Working with the poor is not just about putting roofs on people's houses
Its not just about feeding people or buying school clothes.
(although those things do come into play)
How can we affect people's lives if we don't get to know them?
How can they share their troubles with us if we don't talk to them?

So why are we so afraid?
Why are we afraid to walk down the poor paths where the people look different than we do?
Why are we afraid of climbing hills into the back parts of neighborhoods where Grandma's have lived most of their long, full lives?
Why are we afraid of eating at off the grid restaurants with the locals?
Why are we afraid of playing pickup games of basketball with teenagers by the beach?
.....yes, the drug dealers were sitting nearby. 

Yes, we talked to them too.

In fact, everyone we talked to was happy, kind, considerate, and friendly.

The next time we walk the paths (there are no streets) of Bastimentos, we will have friends that will remember us and say hi. And maybe we will sit down and talk longer.

That is how friendships get started. 
That is how lives get changed.


Building Bridges, 
Laura






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beware of Falling Mangoes

There is a book I love called An Embarrassment of Mangoes . Its about a couple sailing in the Caribbean, meeting locals, and collecting recipes. It is nearly my favorite book of all time because this is what I want to do with my life...sail the Caribbean and collect people and recipes. Little did I dream one day I would own a Tiki Bar and B&B in Costa Rica, much less one gifted with mango trees. In fact, I do think I am going to need to post a WATCH FOR FALLING MANGOES sign above my door as the still green fruit is falling off the trees. I have no idea why. A local told me the tree sheds the unwanted-unfit fruit before it ripens. I am glad no-one has shed me. So I am waiting for the fruit to ripen and dreaming of ways to use it: mango-chili chutney, mango mohitos, mango ice-cream, mango topped burgers. I am dreaming quite actively actually, as it looks like soon I will be the proud owner of an embarrassment of mangoes!

Mexican Morning

The sea is calm this morning after days of raging. Its rhythm calms me a little. The sun is just rising and the palapas are turning gold. I love these mornings when the air is still and clean. Orange oriels sing and land on my yellow flowering vines looking for butterflies for breakfast. Today the plan is to go diving right out here in front of Pueblo Escondido where I live, if it be temporarily.  Nothing here is set in stone. Not the wind nor the waves nor the condition of the reef under them. Endangered sea turtles struggle for survival. Maybe I will dance with one today. Just off shore the water is clear. I can see the limestone stretching out beneath the waves and disappearing into the vast blue where the sea floor quickly drops from 40-400 feet. I love it here. The tropical breezes, the infant fish that grow in the tide pools, the tiny ones with blank and yellow stripes and the ones that are half purple and half yellow. They have found a safe place in which to grow, ...

Magic in the Palm Groves

One of my favorite things about driving down the long road to Manuel Antonio is the palm groves. Rows and rows of palm trees, their trunks laden with ferns I would have given my right arm for when I lived in south Carolina, create a magical green world along the narrow highway. The trees bear bright red berries growing in huge bunches just where you think the coconuts might grow. The color, like cranberries at christmas time. But the best part is the old fashioned carts pulled by oxen and directed by real Costa Rican cowboys.