Skip to main content

A Rural Mexican Church and the Saint of Lost Causes.


This is St. Jude Thaddeus. He is the patron saint of hopeless cases. Here he is in a tiny outdoor church in the mountains of rural Mexico.

The beads you see around his neck and on his staff are thank offerings for miracles the local people believe he has done. 


I spoke to an old man who was sitting in the church waiting for mass to begin. He said not many people come to that church. It was so remote, I can understand why.


There is something wonderful about connecting with the locals


 It gives me the chance to hear their stories and their hearts. These are simple people, working hard and struggling. They come to this rural church several days a week to share a faith that is obviously very deep.

It blessed me to see the whole family together.

In order to know how best to reach out to people, I believe it is important to get to know them. And trips like this one to the mountains of Mexico are heartwarming and eye opening.

Setting my feet in remote places...
Laura


Please check out our FULL WEBSITE at www.PovertyProjectInternational.com
If you want to chat, you can email us at povertyprojectinternational@gmail.com
Or if you want to help us out and DONATE, you can go to PAYPAL and send your donation to  povertyprojectinternational@gmail.comAll donations are tax deductible.


Live is an adventure, Live it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beware of Falling Mangoes

There is a book I love called An Embarrassment of Mangoes . Its about a couple sailing in the Caribbean, meeting locals, and collecting recipes. It is nearly my favorite book of all time because this is what I want to do with my life...sail the Caribbean and collect people and recipes. Little did I dream one day I would own a Tiki Bar and B&B in Costa Rica, much less one gifted with mango trees. In fact, I do think I am going to need to post a WATCH FOR FALLING MANGOES sign above my door as the still green fruit is falling off the trees. I have no idea why. A local told me the tree sheds the unwanted-unfit fruit before it ripens. I am glad no-one has shed me. So I am waiting for the fruit to ripen and dreaming of ways to use it: mango-chili chutney, mango mohitos, mango ice-cream, mango topped burgers. I am dreaming quite actively actually, as it looks like soon I will be the proud owner of an embarrassment of mangoes!

Magic in the Palm Groves

One of my favorite things about driving down the long road to Manuel Antonio is the palm groves. Rows and rows of palm trees, their trunks laden with ferns I would have given my right arm for when I lived in south Carolina, create a magical green world along the narrow highway. The trees bear bright red berries growing in huge bunches just where you think the coconuts might grow. The color, like cranberries at christmas time. But the best part is the old fashioned carts pulled by oxen and directed by real Costa Rican cowboys.

Witches in the Islands of Bocas Del Toro, Panama

An old black woman approached my friend. She took off her necklace and handed it to him. Hanging from the delicate chain was a thin gold coin with an odd pattern stamped in it. “Do you understand?” she asked in think Creole English as she pressed it into his palm. “No,” he answered, puzzled. “I’m a witch,” the old woman explained. This is not a story. This is real. I have no idea why the old woman declared herself to my friend. Several times, I have heard that there are many witches in Bocas Del Toro and every person who has confirmed it has warned me not to talk. So why did the old woman approach my friend? And stranger yet, why did she go on to tell him that there are many witches in the area? Why did she tell him the lady across the street is a witch? And why did she tell him what the witches are up to? Normally I would not take something like this too seriously. But in light of recent happenings, I am reeling with this information. For ...