Skip to main content

Boost Your Brain with Raw Chocolate: An Adventure in a Cacao Forest


We crossed a swinging bridge in the mountains of Costa Rica and climbed the hill to where the Watsi village spread out among the trees. Thatched roofed homes greeted us, and simple people opened their hearts wide and took us in. The Watsi are delightful. They live close to the earth and in connection with a sacred chocolate forest.  
​
“Cacao is the Mother of us all,” the daughter of the village medicine man explained as she led us past stone statutes of warriors and crocodiles guarding the entrance to the ancient cacao grove.

We entered a dark hut where a tiny wrinkled woman was roasting dried beans over an open fire. She scooped up the hot beans and spread then out on a well-worn stone. She rocked another stone back and forth over the beans until they were crushed into a warm paste which she formed into a ball.
​


“This is the cacao,” she explained in heavily accented Spanish.


She let me taste it. It was bitter.
​
Theobroma—Greek for God Food—is the name of the cacao. Its secret chemical compound is named Theobromine because it is found almost exclusively in the bitter beans. Its closest chemical cousin? THC, the stuff in marijuana that gets you high.
​
Costa Rica’s Caribbean Indians drink 5-6 cups of a hot beverage made with Theobroma Cacao every day. They say it brings them good health and long life.
​And they are some of the longest living people on earth.


In an effort to support traditional practices in small villages, in hopes of supporting indigenous people's families, Poverty Project International is offering you raw chocolate that comes straight from the source. We've named it WildSelva (technically it means Wild Rainforest)

WildSelva was born in the rain forest. It was birthed with the idea of connecting humble, indigenous people and their secrets with you. We do not remove the cocoa butter from our raw powder. We keep it whole, the way the Watsi do.

When you make a cup of hot chocolate, you will find tiny circles of cocoa butter floating in shimmering glory on the top of your cacao.

Add sea salt and honey for a savory-sweet drink and you will find yourself experiencing the mood-lifting, brain-power boosting, energy enhancing, cell rejuvenating, soul happifying effects of all natural, raw cacao the way Mother Nature intended you to!

You can purchase WildSelva raw chocolate go here
https://www.lovelylatitudes.com/chocolate


The people of the rain forests benefit from your purchase and so do you!

Chocofiy your world, 

laura


Please check out our FULL WEBSITE at www.PovertyProjectInternational.com
If you want to chat, you can email us at povertyprojectinternational@gmail.com
Or if you want to help us out and DONATE, you can go to PAYPAL and send your donation to  povertyprojectinternational@gmail.com 
All donations are tax deductible.


Live is an adventure, Live it!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beware of Falling Mangoes

There is a book I love called An Embarrassment of Mangoes . Its about a couple sailing in the Caribbean, meeting locals, and collecting recipes. It is nearly my favorite book of all time because this is what I want to do with my life...sail the Caribbean and collect people and recipes. Little did I dream one day I would own a Tiki Bar and B&B in Costa Rica, much less one gifted with mango trees. In fact, I do think I am going to need to post a WATCH FOR FALLING MANGOES sign above my door as the still green fruit is falling off the trees. I have no idea why. A local told me the tree sheds the unwanted-unfit fruit before it ripens. I am glad no-one has shed me. So I am waiting for the fruit to ripen and dreaming of ways to use it: mango-chili chutney, mango mohitos, mango ice-cream, mango topped burgers. I am dreaming quite actively actually, as it looks like soon I will be the proud owner of an embarrassment of mangoes!

Mexican Morning

The sea is calm this morning after days of raging. Its rhythm calms me a little. The sun is just rising and the palapas are turning gold. I love these mornings when the air is still and clean. Orange oriels sing and land on my yellow flowering vines looking for butterflies for breakfast. Today the plan is to go diving right out here in front of Pueblo Escondido where I live, if it be temporarily.  Nothing here is set in stone. Not the wind nor the waves nor the condition of the reef under them. Endangered sea turtles struggle for survival. Maybe I will dance with one today. Just off shore the water is clear. I can see the limestone stretching out beneath the waves and disappearing into the vast blue where the sea floor quickly drops from 40-400 feet. I love it here. The tropical breezes, the infant fish that grow in the tide pools, the tiny ones with blank and yellow stripes and the ones that are half purple and half yellow. They have found a safe place in which to grow, ...

Magic in the Palm Groves

One of my favorite things about driving down the long road to Manuel Antonio is the palm groves. Rows and rows of palm trees, their trunks laden with ferns I would have given my right arm for when I lived in south Carolina, create a magical green world along the narrow highway. The trees bear bright red berries growing in huge bunches just where you think the coconuts might grow. The color, like cranberries at christmas time. But the best part is the old fashioned carts pulled by oxen and directed by real Costa Rican cowboys.